Monday, June 14, 2010

Barbi's Pasta Sauce (low sodium)

I wanted to make a large batch of pasta sauce that I could use with several recipes and freeze the rest for future use. I basically just made this one up as I went along using ideas I got from several recipes I saw on the internet. For my tomato base I tried to use as many "no salt added" products as I could find. The only one I could not get in the low sodium version was the crushed tomatoes but I think spread out over the whole recipe it still had little impact.

After adding all the vegetables I found that they did not seem like all that much once all the sauces were added so if you like a chunkier sauce then I would increase amounts of veggies. This is also a very low fat sauce in comparison to store bought brands.

If you are not a Diabetic or don't mind a few extra calories from sugar then you can replace the Splenda with regular sugar.

As always, every taste is different so you can use this as a base and then just add or subtract from there to make it suit your tastes.


BARBI'S PASTA SAUCE (low sodium)

1 28 oz. can crushed tomatoes
5 8 oz cans tomato sauce, no salt added
2 6 oz. cans Tomato paste, no salt added
2 14.5 oz. cans diced tomatoes, no salt added
1 tablespoon basil
1 tablespoon italian seasoning
3 bay leaves
2 tablespoon Splenda
1 carrot; chopped
1 medium onion; chopped
1 medium zucchini; chopped
1/2 cup mushrooms; chopped
2 clove garlic; minced
2 tablespoon Smart Balance Omega Oil

Heat oil in large skillet. Saute the onion, carrots, zucchini, mushrooms and garlic until tender.

While that is cooking in a large crockpot (6 qt) add the crushed tomatoes plus one can of water, then add the tomato sauce, tomato paste and the diced tomatoes. Stir until blended well. Add the basil, bay leaves, Italian seasoning and Splenda. Stir until everything is well mixed and turn the crockpot on high.

When the vegetables are done add to the sauce and blend. Cover the crockpot and cook on high for one hour.

Stir sauce and taste to see if it needs anything then turn heat down to low.

Simmer on low for 4 to 5 hours stirring occasionally.

Use over your favorite pasta or to make lasagna.

You can also divide it up and freeze it for later use, just be sure to let it cool completely first.

Makes about 17 cups

Number of Servings: 17

Nutritional Info
  • Servings Per Recipe: 17
  • Amount Per Serving
  • Calories: 83.7
  • Total Fat: 1.7 g
  • Cholesterol: 0.0 mg
  • Sodium: 137.6 mg
  • Total Carbs: 10.4 g
  • Dietary Fiber: 4.7 g
  • Protein: 2.1 g
NOTE: Please keep in mind the nutritional info is based on the specific brands that I use for each ingredient so they may be different depending on the brand you use.

No comments: