Thursday, August 11, 2011

I'm Back and I Come Bearing Flautas!

I can't believe I have neglected my blog for so long! I wish I had some great excuse but really I don't :( I had no idea it had been so long. I have a few recipes to post so I will get right to it!

These Chicken Flautas are something I threw together one night and they became a big hit so I have now made them several times. There is not alot you can do to make these super healthy but using low fat cheese and low carb tortillas certainly helps. I also use fat free sour cream for dipping. Hey every little bit counts, right? Right?




CHICKEN FLAUTAS

2
Large boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 Can of diced green chilis
1
Can of Rotel diced tomatoes with green chilis, drained
1 ½ Cups of shredded Mexican blend cheese
½
Cup diced onions
3 T Taco seasoning
½ Cup black beans
Flour tortillas, 8 inch size
Salsa, guacamole or sour cream for dipping (optional)

Boil chicken breasts in water until cooked. Cut into rough chunks and place in a food processor. Pulse a few times to get semi-finely chopped. Place in a medium frying pan.

Add remaining ingredients (except tortillas) and stir. When completely blended and the cheese is melted remove from heat. Soften tortillas in microwave by wrapping 5 at a time in damp paper towels for about 1 min.

Spoon about 2 to 3 tablespoons chicken mixture across one side of a tortilla and roll tightly. Make sure the filling reaches each end of the tortilla without spilling out the ends. As you roll, dampen the end of the tortilla with water so the end sticks when you are done rolling. Place in a pile until you have rolled all the tortillas using all the filling.


Heat oil in a medium fry pan just covering the bottom of the pan. Brown both sides of each flauta and place them on a rack on top of a cookie sheet or jelly roll pan.
Bake for about 15 minutes

Serve with dipping sauces of your choice!



No comments: