Sunday, September 28, 2008

Madeleines, Simple and Delicious

I love those days when the oh-so-wonderful hubby is bored and looking for something to bake. I quickly browsed through my collection of recipes that I've saved but not tried yet when I remember my shiny new Madeleine pan. I've loved Madeleines ever since I saw them in a movie several years ago and wanted to make them myself. I looked everywhere for one of those pans but soon realized I would have to order one online.

For awhile our local Costco sold mini Madeleines in clear plastic buckets and they were very good but I still wanted to try making my own. Finally, several months ago I broke down and ordered one of the pans from Amazon. I was so excited when I got it, it was so shiny and pretty. Well that's as far as I got, it went up on the shelf and I just never got around to making the cookies until today when my oh-so-wonderful hubby was bored and felt the urge to make something sweet. I have just the thing I told him!

They tasted just like I imagined they would and so much better than the store bought ones. The recipe we used came from A Chow Life and as she says they are best when eaten warm out of the oven but I know these will taste good several days from now - if they last that long.



MADELEINES
1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter melted and cooled
1 1/4 cup sifted cake flour not self-rising
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
3 large eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
2/3 cup granulated sugar
confectioners sugar for dusting

Put racks in upper and lower thirds of oven and preheat oven to 350 degrees. Brush molds with some melted butter.

Sift together flour, baking powder, and salt.

Beat eggs in a large bowl with an electric mixer at high speed until light and foamy, about 30 seconds with a standing mixer or 1 minute with a handheld, then beat in vanilla. Gradually add granulated sugar, beating constantly at high speed, and continue to beat until mixture is tripled in volume, about 3 minutes with standing mixer or 5 minutes with handheld.

Sift flour mixture in 3 or 4 batches over egg, folding in each batch until just combined. Then fold in 3/4 cup melted butter.

Spoon a rounded tablespoon of batter into each mold (they will be about two-thirds full) and bake in upper and lower thirds of oven (2 pans will fit on 1 rack), switching position of pans halfway through baking, until golden around edges and a tester inserted in centers comes out clean, 10 to 12 minutes total.

Invert madeleines onto a rack and dust scalloped sides with confectioners sugar.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh i remember seeing these in my Costco but never tried them, oh they look and sound good too. It's cool that our hubbys dont mind cooking things in the kitchen.

Barbi said...

Oh they are really good, you should buy some but beware, they are very addicting!