Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Trying Out Tofu Shirataki Noodles

Tonight I decided to try those Tofu Shirataki Noodles that everyone has been raving about. I thought maybe this is the answer to my prayers, a pasta that is completely guilt-free! Could these be a Diabetic's pot of gold?

I got myself some Tofu Shirataki Fettuccine Shaped Tofu Noodles and set about making the recipe I found on Hungry Girl, Fettuccine Hungry Girlfredo!

First of all when she tells you to rinse these noodles well she means WELL. They smell very fishy and take a lot of rinsing to get rid of that odor.

The recipe is very easy to throw together and the cheese sauce it makes is very tasty but the noodles were not what I was hoping for. Believe me they look and feel just like noodles until you bite into them. The texture was very hard for me to get used to, tender but yet rubbery at the same time. Hard to describe but I just could not get past that feeling when you bite into them. Alas my hopes and dreams were dashed, they were not the answer to my prayers.

I have a package of the Angel Hair style also so I may get brave and try a traditional spaghetti recipe with them but as a rule I like my pasta a little al dente and these have the feel of overcooked pasta.

If anyone is feeling brave or does not mind the texture, here is the recipe.



Fettuccine Hungry Girlfredo

1 package of Tofu Shirataki Fettuccine Shaped Tofu Noodles
1/2 Wedge of Laughing Cow Light Cheese
1 t. fat free sour cream
2 t. low fat parmesan cheese
Salt & pepper if desired

Rinse fettuccine noodles VERY well. Microwave them for one minute, then drain them and pat dry. Add cheeses and sour cream. Mix thoroughly. Microwave to help melt cheese further, and mix some more. Add salt and pepper to taste. Enjoy. Serves 1.

No comments: