Monday, September 15, 2008

Slow-Cooker Lasagna

I love pasta! All kinds of pasta cooked all kinds of ways. When I was a kid one of my favorite snacks was just a bowl of cold plain elbow macaroni sprinkled with just a bit of salt. Yummy! Of course now that I am Diabetic I have to limit my cravings but that still does not stop me from making pasta dishes and trying out new ones.

I got this recipe from one of my mailing lists that I belong to and of course I had to tweak it to see if I could make it healthier. Crock Pot recipes are great as I can just assemble the ingredients, turn it on and forget it for a few hours.

For the lasagna noodles I used whole wheat oven ready noodles. These are great lasagna noodles I found at Target. It's made by their own food brand, Archer Farms. You don't have to pre-cook them and they taste great. You can't even tell they are whole wheat. You don't have to use the oven ready type of noodles to make this so any kind of lasagna will be fine.

For the marinara sauce I use Trader Joe's Organic Marinara Sauce. It's low fat and no salt added so very low in sodium. Plus it tastes great!



SLOW-COOKER LASAGNA

1 lb. ground turkey
1 medium onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 C water
1 8 oz. can tomato sauce - no salt added
1 6 oz. can tomato paste
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. oregano
8 oz. uncooked lasagna noodles; broken up
1 lb mozzarella cheese, shredded
2 15 oz. containers low fat or fat free ricotta cheese
1/4 C egg substitute
1 26 oz jar marinara sauce

Brown the turkey, onion and garlic over medium heat in a large skillet sprayed with cooking spray until meat isn't pink any longer.

Add the tomato sauce, tomato paste, marinara sauce, water, salt and oregano, mix well until heated through. Spread one-quarter of the meat sauce in an ungreased crock pot; arrange one third of the noodles over the meat. Combine the cheeses and the egg substitute and arrange one third of the cheese mixture over the noodles.

Repeat these layers two more times; top with the remaining meat sauce. Cover and cook 4 to 5 hours on low heat or until noodles are tender.

11 comments:

Gloria Chadwick said...

Hi Barbi, Found you on the foodie blogroll today. I have Type 2 also and I like how you tweak recipes to make them healthier. Your lasagna looks wonderful!

Meg said...

This looks amazing and so easy! My husband would love this!

Andrea said...

This sounds great! I've been meaning to break out the slow cooker more often, especially while it's still too hot to turn on the oven a ton.

Aimei said...

Hi Barbi, thanks for visiting my blog. Welcome to the blogging world. I love to read about healthy cooking. Will visit your blog!! :)

Teresa Cordero Cordell said...

What a delicious and healthy looking lasagna. I bet it's tasty too. Great post.

Apples and Butter said...

Guess it's that time of year - everybody is getting their slow cookers out! I must say, I have never had one - what kind do you use?

Apples and Butter said...

P.S. Welcome to the Foodie Blogroll!

Barbi said...

I love my crockpot especially on these hot days. Mine is a West Bend and it has the ceramic insert which is a must have. So much easier to clean that way.

Thanks for all the comments and welcome guys, I am not new to the internet and webpages but I am a complete newbie when it comes to blogging. If anyone has any tips on taking pictures of food I would love to hear them.

suedo said...

what's the cup of water for?

Barbi said...

The water is part of the sauce.

Anonymous said...

You american got it all wrong