Sunday, October 12, 2008

Anything Goes Casserole

The original recipe for this is the very first recipe I ever learned to make. I got it in Boarding School when I was 12 (I won't tell you how many decades ago that was). It has truly stood the test of time and one my family loves. Of course over the years I have tweaked it here and there as I do with most recipes but the basic recipe is still very good to this day. The original recipe called for just the meat, onions, soup and macaroni but over time I started adding veggies here and there and using variations of the cheese soup.

Since it first came out they now have Cheddar and Broccoli soup as well as a couple spicy versions of the original cheddar cheese and they all work just as well. I love to add corn and carrots to the casserole and have on occasion added broccoli florets and cauliflower depending on my mood. As the title implies, anything goes with this casserole.



ANYTHING GOES CASSEROLE
1 lb. ground beef or ground turkey
2 cans cheddar cheese soup
1 med onion; chopped
2 cups macaroni
1 cup whole kernel corn
1 cup sliced carrots, cooked
1/4 cup chopped parsley
Grated Low Fat Cheddar Cheese (optional)
Seasonings of choice

Preheat oven to 375°F

Cook macaroni according to directions on package. Drain.

Brown ground beef or turkey in skillet with a bit of oil, add the onion and cook til meat is no longer pink. Add seasonings of choice. I usually add ground black pepper and garlic powder.

In a large bowl add soup to macaroni and combine well. Add vegetables and stir well. Add the parsley and stir til combinied. Pour into greased 3 quart casserole dish.

Bake for 30 min.

Sprinkle top with a bit of grated cheese or Parmesan if desired.

OPTIONS: You can substitute Cheddar Cheese and Broccoli soup or Fiesta Cheddar Cheese soup for the Cheddar Cheese soup if you wish. You can also swap the veggies for any others you may desire. This casserole is easily adaptable. Anything goes!

No comments: