Saturday, October 4, 2008

Creamy Potato Corn Soup

Well the clouds rolled in, the temperature dropped and the winds howled. My favorite kind of weather. My sister-in-law and her son came up so he could help her move in, the more the merrier I say! It was a perfect day to make a nice big batch of hearty soup and Potato Corn Soup is my favorite. Sometimes I get the nice Sourdough Bread Bowls and lightly toast the outside and fill them with the steamy hot soup. Nothing warms your insides like that!

No bread bowls this time but still just as good. I actually made a double batch but I doubt it will last long. As I mentioned before we have been trying to sell our house but until the market gets better we have to wait. In the meantime we are living with my in-laws and now that my sister-in-law has moved in here too there are 5 of us. I love it, we have lot's of fun and in today's economy it's nice to know we can all pool our resources and ride out this economic slump.



CREAMY POTATO CORN SOUP
6 slices bacon, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
1 onion, finely chopped
2 10.5 oz cans condensed chicken broth
2 cups water
5 large potatoes, diced
1 to 1 1/2 cups of corn
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon dried dill weed
1/2 teaspoon ground white pepper
1 cup of shredded cheddar cheese
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
2 cups half-and-half cream
1 12 oz can evaporated milk

Place bacon and onion in a large, deep skillet. Cook over medium-high heat until bacon is evenly brown and onions are soft. Drain off excess grease.

Transfer the bacon and onion to a slow cooker, and stir in chicken broth, water, potatoes, corn, salt, dill weed, and white pepper. Cover, and cook on Low 6 to 7 hours, stirring occasionally.

In a small bowl, whisk together the flour and half-and-half. Stir into the soup along with the evaporated milk and cheese. Cover, and cook another 30 minutes before serving.

3 comments:

Amy said...

This looks so good! With the stormy weather we've been having this would be perfect. One question though. How much corn do you put in?

Barbi said...

Ooops I forgot to add that to the recipe. I put in about 1 to 1 1/2 cups of corn.

Alicia Foodycat said...

What a warming dish! Yum!