Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Ham and Hash Brown Casserole

This another one of those recipes that has evolved over the years. I think the original recipe was more of a side dish and did not have the ham in it but had the Mushroom soup and some sour cream and a lot more cheese. At some point I changed it to accomodate a bunch of left over ham I had after Easter one year and it has just stayed this way. The original recipe I remember being very rich so by eliminating the sour cream and half the cheese and adding some ham to make it a main dish I was able to serve it more often. I always seem to have so much left over ham after big holiday meals that I had to come up with several recipes to use it all. This is just one of them.

I will add that normally when I make this dish I use the O'Brien style of hash browns but the store was out so I used the plain instead. It still tasted good but I prefer the O'Brien potatoes, it adds more flavor I think.


HAM AND HASH BROWN CASSEROLE
1 32 oz. bag of frozen Hash Brown potatoes (I usually use the O'Brien style)
1 6 oz. Farmer John Boneless Ham Steak (or other equivalent)
2 cans of Healthy Request Cream of Mushroom Soup
1 can of No Salt Added Peas, drained
1 1/4 C cheddar cheese, shredded - divided

Preheat oven to 400

Cube ham steak into 1/2 in. size pieces.

In a large mixing bowl combine all the ingredients except 1/4 cup of the shredded cheese. Mix well and pour into a casserole dish sprayed with cooking spray.

Bake for 1 hour and remove from the oven. Sprinkle the last of the cheese on top and let melt.

** It does not matter if the hash browns have been thawed or are still frozen when putting this together.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This hearty meal can easily be served for breakfast or dinner, delish! I'd love to include your casserole on our blog, please let me know if you're interested :).

Sophie, Key Ingredient Chief Blogger
sophie@keyingredient.com

Barbi said...

I'd be honored, thank you :)